This blog is all about the public sector and my thoughts and viewpoints as a public servant. It's my way of venting and interpreting things through my reality. So, rather than sit quiet and let it hit the fan, I decided its time to put people and departments on blast. It's my therapy. Its unabashed, unabridged and uncensored. It's all real. Read and find out. You may be enlightened, disgusted, impressed or indifferent. You decide...

Monday, May 05, 2008

Reflecting back on life in the public sector...

Its been a while since I last posted anything and reading some of my past blog entries, its good to know that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Nothing has really changed. I think that issues within the public sector are continuous and resurface usually at the most opportune moment. Why not bring up a problem or an issue just to stir the pot? Afterall, this problem has always been here. It has just remained untouched, dormant and invisible. Bring it up when there are new change agents in the house. Bring it up when there are other problems to deflect the impact of todays emergency.

Back to change....

Change in the public sector is particularly difficult. There is such emotional attachment and ownership to processes and procedures. Most people do not like to learn something new and go out of their comfort zone or workplace bliss. Most of the employees do not see outside of the confines of their cubicle or workspace to really know that there are issues affecting the whole. Why should they? If the problems do not affect them (note I said them and not the public) then why bother? And---since there is no accountability for work progress, accuracy, etc. then why should they even care? Its not like a public servant can be readily fired, can they?

Rather then bring in change agents / change leaders, let's educate the management on change. Let's brainstorm on workplace issues and focus on the most urgent problems affecting the process. Let's involve the staff and rally them, empower them to problem solve. Maybe that would help the morale? Wouldn't it be great if we can just solve one itty bitty problem without going through so many obstacles? Thats the public sector way of doing it. But, focusing on gathering the right people to champion for the cause would be a brilliant move. Make friends and allies not enemies. Apparently, public sector leaders tend to think with their ego, positional power and political support and not with the general public in mind.

As the perfect public servant, I would like to see the command and control culture abolished. I would like to see a more lateral way of management rather than top down. Why not involve the staff in the decision making? Isn't that the way it is done with most successful companies, private and public? No one should be afraid to ask questions or answer I dont know--that includes leaders too. By establishing an empowered workplace where communication and trust is sacred, the public sector may be able to make headwaves but until then it is a slow uphill battle.

Leaders should be knowledgeable. Period. Knowledgeable in basic management concepts and hopefully in the sector or unit where he/she works. A good leader knows when to listen and knows how to ask questions to obtain the right answers.

As my division goes through a massive culture change, I sit back and cringe. The change agents should know the culture before changing it right? Im trying to be hopeful but I see that there is a lot of discontent and confusion in the environment.

As a leader, I can address these issues. I can suggest different strategies and provide my unabashed opinion. But will this be enough? Thats my concern. I dont have enough ammunition to fight the political battles that are coming this way. Hopefully, it will all work out.

If all else fails, we'll just put another band-aid on the problem and wait for it to disappear...and eventually resurface.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home